Friday, July 23, 2010

More Bankroll Management Lessons

Current BR: -336

Let's just labelled that day or revelation I mentioned yesterday as "D-Day".

The NL2 plan worked, and I was gaining quite nicely, until I jumped in for
some quick Rush Poker action at NL5.

D-Day +1: +$9 on NL2 (+450 bb's)
D-Day +2: +$2 on NL2 (+100 bb's)
D-Day +3: +$2 on NL2 (+100 bb's), -$8.50 at NL5 (-170 bb's)

So, I'm above where I started, but thanks to a little NL5 Rush jaunt, I'm
not above by much. Overall, that's a positive 380 bb's.

I suppose that one thing I've noticed is that the jump in skill level is
remarkably high. I think I can beat NL5 rush, but marginally so, and at
this BR level, I cannot do that due to the increased variance when you're
a near-breakeven player. I hope this is just a Rush phenomenon, and not a
general ring game thing for when I move up from NL2 to NL5 ring.

So, long story short, NL5 is above my BR level. Rush seems to be at a
higher skill level, lowering my ROI significantly and thus increasing my
variance. Ergo: Rush is a no-no for now until I'm properly rolled.

I might have a new strategy for quick-launching the bankroll back up.
Since I'm so confident I can beat NL2, I believe I will implement it this
way:

Once I've reached 20 BI's for the level I'm playing at, once I earn one
excess BI at the next highest level, I will play at that level until I
drop to 20 BI's at the lower level again.

E.g. For NL2, a proper roll of 20 BI's is $40. Once I achieve 1 NL5 BI
above this ($45), I will play at NL5 until I drop to $40 again. This
should quick-launch the bankroll more quickly, assuming I can continue to
win at each level... which we will see. If I hit a wall at a certain
level, where I find myself frequently having to drop down, then I'll
increase the limits at which I can take shots.

In the meantime, I've incorporated Harrington's pre-flop ranges for 6-max
at NL2 and it seems to be going well enough. I'm raising/stealing off the
button much less than I use to. I'll abide by his strategy, until I see
opponent specific numbers in the HUD which warrant an increased stealing
range.

No comments:

Post a Comment